Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Happy Monday!

Look at us finding 'just right spots' to work on our math problem of the day! We use our math problem solving notebooks. 

Today's problem: How many kids are at your table? How can you show your answer?
The last part of the question is really important. I'm already trying to get the kids to see that there might be more than one way. I even have some kiddos (look below) that are showing their answer in more than one way. 

Today we decided that it should 'make sense' and I talked about picking kids with neat notebooks to share. I want them to develop good habits in their notebooks. 


You can see that Layla is actually drawing her table. 

Jenna drew each person at the table and wrote the numeral. (Two ways to solve!)

Whoa! Jaxon has three ways to solve! Today when Nora shared, she explained the reason she drew dots in her notebook, instead of people. She said people would take very long to draw and said that the dots stand for each person. A new strategy! 

I noticed that Eve made her dots look like the 5 on a dice :) 

Oooh! Tally marks. Hm, I didn't even show this one--better dig this journal back out today! 

Here we are representing some of the ways we showed our answer in our BIG K02 math notebook! 

During our reading time, we are learning how every book has it's own place in our library. Our kiddos practiced reading and putting the books back in the right place. 

I have to tell you..next week I'll do a lesson on the 3 ways to read a book and I can't believe how many of these kids are already doing this on their own! Way to go parents! 

Pete....ah :) 


Cozy futon....will become cozier when I bring pillows :) 

Jaxon was in love with all of Eric Carle's end pages! I teach a lot of Eric Carle right now to show them that an author is brave and will try anything! You can't sit and call mom when you're stuck...you have to keep pushing, thinking and just write anything! 

FYI: We are already talking about 'getting stuck,' and how it's a good thing! Please encourage your child to get stuck at home by asking questions. Don't ever give your child the answer...if they're working on something. 

Another end page! 


This was cute! Brody was reading to me at choicetime :) What a sweetie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment