Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Monday!

Just have to show off a picture of Mrs. Greer's little girl. Her name is Allie. Isn't she soooo cute? She's in take a break! Haha. 

Here we are playing a new math game called Get to the Moon. The students roll a dot die and then put that many counters on. The next player has to determine how many squares are left until they reach the top of the ladder! 


Another one. Too cute. 

Just recently we came to realize how important '10' is. I learned in one of my math classes to never have 10 groups out....which I always did. The kids have to discover this on their own. Well we do a lot with 10 frames, 10 fingers, etc. One day, Avery says, "I think 10 must be pretty important!" So I've been building from there. I'm amazed at what they can do. 

Remember as your children continue to work with addition.....if they are talking about putting numbers together or saying "I know 2 and 2 makes 4," you can say, "Here's how a mathematician would represent that." Then show them 2+2. Don't feel like you have to use the equal sign. You can write the word 'is' or makes or just leave it 2+2. I hope this helps! Whatever you do, don't drill and practice addition equations with workbooks, etc. Thanks so much! 

I hope to continue to post tips for you so that you can see all of the wonderful things our teachers are learning. It amazes me every year! 

Today we played a game called Get Ten. Students play with a partner and they have 10 cubes/1-3 die. Player 1 rolls and counts out that many. Player 2 rolls and counts out more. You can ask each other math questions such as, "How many do we have? How many more to make 10?" The goal is to get to 10 (the winner can also be the first person to get over 10).

No comments:

Post a Comment