Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happy Wednesday!

We love 12-12-12! :)

So today I pulled a group of 3 kiddos to work on an extra challenging problem. We've been working on greater than/less than all year. I added an extra step to this problem. I asked them to figure out how many more. It was SO fun to be able to work with this group and really watch them push through and discuss what they were trying and why.

Remember those 8 Standards of Mathematical Practice I sent you? It's also going to be on the report card. Today I saw several of these report card behaviors....Discuss mathematical thinking, use appropriate tools, make sense of problems and persevere.

They all started the same way. It was really easy for them to count each group and record the number. They also had no problem deciding which was greater. They did have trouble figuring out how many more.

I kept questioning, but they were really stuck. So I pulled out two smaller groups (4 snowman eraser and 2 teddy bear counters.) They all instantly said, "There are 2 more!" WHOA. So I built off of that and slowly they started to figure out how to move the objects around (basically matching them up to see how many of the bigger group were left over.) I did NOT tell them how to group them or how to match them. They figured it out. Isn't it SO fun to see????


Avery pulled two objects to the side...but wasn't sure where to go from there. Then, Cale had an idea.

Here is Cale explaining his matching/grouping technique to Jorgia and Avery.

No comments:

Post a Comment