Monday, December 16, 2013

Happy Thursday and Friday!!!


We had some very busy days at the end of last week! I was SUPER excited to try this math problem with my kiddos. One thing I'm trying this year is to make problems even more authentic by using real pictures. So this problem took place at a familiar Sioux Falls location--Mini-Critters! 


I was really impressed when approximately 6 kids wanted to work alone! They are obviously very independent and felt like they had a way to enter this problem. Yay! 







I noticed that a lot of kiddos (but NOT all) started with the double of 3+3....very interesting that a few started with 2 and 4. 





I wanted to record all of the ways they came up with. Then we had a discussion (which is really the commutative property of addition) about whether or not you could switch the numbers in each cage around and count those as different answers--and we did! Except for 3+3---which you can see Will below---he very much believed that you can't change those because it's the same value! WOW!!!! 








I hope you had a wonderful 1/2 birthday Layla! It was super fun meeting your grandma!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment