Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Random Thoughts....

So I'm just blogging during my special. Do you realize that first grade students jump from a level 3 in reading to a level 18? Now, I don't want you to totally focus all of your attention on 'levels.' There is a LOT of learning that translates into the development of a successful reader.

But I just keep thinking about things I hear from first grade. I won't go on about it here...but please take this to heart. If you don't embrace a love of reading...then it will be hard for your child to do the same. I don't want any of you to have struggling readers. I don't want any of you to have to have a hard conference right now or next year especially if your child is more than capable of learning this stuff.

So how can you help?
*Read my tidbits about reading from the Mem Fox book
*Encourage phonemic awareness practice at home: Beginning/middle/ending sounds in words, rhyming, blending and segmenting sounds orally
*Read to your children as much as you can!!!! 

*Take your child to the library as often as you can!!!

One more thing...if your child was to struggle next year, then it makes sense that he or she may miss out on new lessons because he or she won't be ready for them and will be doing remedial work (like rhyming, etc). I run into a lot of parents who think that kids can catch up in 4th grade. 


Kindergarten and first grade skills are ESSENTIAL. 
You are ESSENTIAL. 
I am so glad to work with you this year! You amaze me. You work with your children and you're giving them a gift of learning that will serve them throughout life.

Congratulations :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment