Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Happy nice, warm, sunny....day!




One of our wonderful opinion stories! We are learning that we really can change things around and problems that we see! 



Today we worked with 20 frames to start working on the standard of understanding that teen numbers are made up of ONE 10 groups and some more 1's.  The hardest part is understanding "one 10." We just keep building and building away...having concrete tools in our hands is the best way to construct knowledge. 


Brayden made us an awesome story to help remind us to pick up our trash! So, naturally, he hung it by the trash can! 


We read, Red Sled last week and then wrote/draw our own ending to the story! This story had a lot of sound words, or onomatopoeia, in it! Now kids are starting to find onomatopoeia everywhere! 


In fact...here's some onomatopoeia right now! 



Can you see the bear leaving...there go his tracks! SO cute! The onomatopoeia is saying, "Thump, thump, thump." 


Today we were reading about plants. They are living things and have needs! We got on the discussion of roots and Emily remembered that you could see roots in the book, Cherry and Cherry Pits. Great connection lady! 


I still have quite a few kiddos working on fluently knowing and using facts within 5. So today I worked with just these friends on parts of numbers within 5. We used our fingers and rekenreks (bead racks) to build. 

OH MY GOSH. Sweetest thing EVER! Kiera brought me the cutest gift today..but my fave part is the letter. Especially the part where it says, "My teacher likes when I 'be' kind." That makes my whole YEAR! I am thrilled that she didn't say something about academics. Does that sound bad?! But really, I want my kids to learn how to treat others, how to problem solve, how to give and take, really listen to others and build up a community together." THESE are the skills that they will ALL use in life...no matter their age, occupation or ability!

Thanks Kiera! I LOVE it and I ADORE teaching and learning with you every day! 




Our friend Jace really is a creative little guy. He writes, "Plants started with the first drop of rain." Isn't that poetic? I just love how his brain thinks! 






After listening to a song called "Zero the Hero" we decided to actually show what he means when he says, "2 sets of 10," etc....So we kept adding sets of 10 until we got to 100! 


Kiera then worked on sets of 10 on dreambox!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment