Monday, February 4, 2013

More Math Fun...


Today we found a letter from Little Red Hen in my mailbox! Crazy!!!


Here is Little Red Hen's math problem....we had some fun with this today.

I was really impressed with their thinking. I didn't have one single friend who didn't have an entry point to this problem and THIS IS MULTIPLICATION!!!! Shh...but don't tell them that. Hahaha.

If you look at the top line you'll see that I drew little boxes. A lot of friends used this strategy. They either drew it or used cubes. The first drawing has 3 boxes for the cat, dog and goose. The other drawing has a box for hen as well. So a big discussion ensued and we weren't sure if Hen meant to include herself or not. If she did, it would be 12 cupcakes. If she didn't, it was 9 cupcakes. It was the first time I've had them disagree, reason with each other and kind of 'stick to their guns' if you will....all of this, in kindergarten. Amazing.

There were some kiddos who solved it instantly. I'll have to start giving different problem types to different kids soon. I often have them use different sets of numbers too to make sure I'm differentiating.
Even if your child is quick with math, make sure he or she can explain what he or she is thinking. Ask how, why, can you tell me, where did you get that, what does that mean, etc.....all of the time!

Below you'll see just a few of the wonderful work samples from today!



No comments:

Post a Comment