Thursday, November 7, 2013

Happy Thursday!!!


Just had to share the morning sentences we've been writing all week. We work on many different things through this short activity:
Beginning, middle and ending sounds
Blending and segmenting sounds within a word 
Writing from left to right 
Punctuation
Capitalization 
Chunks
Snap words
Vocabulary
There is probably more that I'm not thinking of! 


K02 loves honey bees! Way to support this important insect parents :) We will send a picture to 2nd grade to let them know we support their learning too! 

OMG. Milk duds? Did I write about milk duds on the blog? I must have. I just ADORE milk duds! YUM! Thank you to Reagan for thinking of me!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! Are they all gone, you ask? Hmmm....not telling! 

So a super fun quick math talk today. I posed this problem: Miss Dunker ate 2 milk duds. Then she ate 4 more. How many milk duds did she eat altogether? 
I told them to solve it in any way! My goal was to have a really good math talk about different strategies. The majority of them solved it correctly....but the focus in on how they got there and if they can explain it









We picked a few friends to share their strategies and ended up with these answers! Isn't it amazing what kindergarten kids can do? The Eight Standards of Mathematical Practice (which are graded on the report card) emphasize that children should be starting to talk about how they work through problems and be reasoning/communicating with others. "I just knew it" and "I don't know" are things we're moving away from!
So please continue to encourage talking. Do not encourage rote memorization of facts without the critical/deep thinking right alongside it. 
Oh...and if you do work on math facts---start with the parts of 5 (3+2, 4+1, 5+0)

OH YES! I also forgot our equality talks. If you look closely at the chart, we are starting to write number sentences backwards too (it's not really backwards....but the kids think it is--well, they're starting to get it).
The = means "is the same value as" (use these words to help your child)

No comments:

Post a Comment