Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Happy Tuesday!


You can read the problem above. This is today's problem. I was really happy to see so many of them organize their thoughts and choose what tools to use. Many could figure this out without looking at the shapes...but for some kiddos who can't identify the shapes, they needed to hold the manipulatives and count the faces.


Look at Bryson's work! Amazing. He drew 4 dots for the 4 faces of each cylinder and 3 dots for the 3 faces of the 3 cones. Simple and fast for him. OH and I almost forgot! Bryson amazed me even more. He says, "4+3 is 7 and I know that because 3+3 is 6, so it's 1 more." What unbelievable thinking! He is thinking about numbers in a relational way.

Okay. This amazed me too. We have our first table ever in kindergarten! Mahlaya didn't even mean to make a chart, she just chose to organize her work this way. The 3/2/1 on top stand for the number of shapes and the numbers below represent the number of faces. WOW!


Here is Aryn's work. Again, she understands what the plus symbol means...yet you should remember that this is not age appropriate for all students. I challenged Aryn to write the corresponding number sentence and she did that in a snap. (look below)
 

I also love how they're starting to record their thinking with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment