Thursday, September 26, 2013

Happy Thursday!


So I hope you read my previous blog post about grading! Today we worked on handwriting and our numbers through 10.
We worked on each number and as we worked I told the kids to remember which letters were tricky for them! It was a whole new approach. For a change, I'm telling the kids to be self-aware of what is a challenge! What do you get stuck on? What do you need to practice? I also kept a close eye on which numbers were hard for them. 

I gave each of them a sticky note and told them to record the specific numbers that were TOO hard...including the numbers that are just a little hard. It was so fun for them to see that each card is different. There is NO need to compare yourself to a friend. That's nonsense. They were SO accurate in their recording.
I took their choices and sent home some homework. I hope that you will practice their numbers for about 10 minutes each night. I told them that once they think they have it down, that they should tell me and I'll make them prove it :)

Four friends wrote nothing on their cards. The knew they could do it. So I made them PROVE it...and they DID! Yay! Oh, but the learning doesn't end with that grade. Now they'll work on advancing to 11-20! 




We also worked on number before and after. VERY tricky! Working on that (especially what number comes before a number) is a good idea for home! 




These were the four friends that felt ready to prove their numeral writing today! WAY TO GO! 

A great math journal sample today. The question said: There were 5 kids on the monkey bars. Some are girls. Some are boys. Draw the kids.
I am SO impressed with how they recorded their thinking so that they could explain it to the whole class! Here you can see Jenna recording a 'b' for boy and 'g' for girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment