Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Happy, happy Tuesday!!!!

Currently working on the pumpkin patch movie!!! Coming soon...

If you recall...we spent yesterday learning about the new snap word like. Today we played a little game with our like cards. I would call out something and they would hold their card up if they liked it! Very fun :)

I am working on an I like movie for your enjoyment! 


Today our math problem was: Emma had 3 crayons. Her friend gave her 2 more. Now how many crayons does Emma have? 
I get so excited to see their thinking!!! Here is Natalee's work. I just love the little picture in the corner :) 

Here is Dawson's work. 

Should you be teaching your child 3+2=5 for this problem? I know I have little rants about this...but if you're going to do this, please do not include the = symbol. When I asked them well, if 3+2=5, does 5=3+2? They said, "NO! It can't go that way!" When I asked them, does 1=1? They said, "NO! You have to have a plus!" They do not yet understand that the = means equality or balanced.

If you want to help at home....do this. Ask true and false questions like....

Does 1 = 1?
Does 1+1=2? Does 2=1+1?
Just have good discussions. Practice balancing things at home, using scales. Talk about balance and that the = symbol means it should balance on both sides.


We also talked about the + symbol meaning joining things together. Will predicted that this would be a joining problem! 





No comments:

Post a Comment