Thursday, October 17, 2013

Happy Thursday!!!

Here are some writing examples we used to help us see why a reader can't read your story easily when the words are squished!

So we took our old playground story and rewrote it with the words first. I can't believe how well they did! 



Here are some snapshots of us doing a quick math warm-up. They each had a whiteboard.

I called out a number from 1-10. They had to write the number right after it.

This would be GREAT to practice at home. If you'd like to know what numbers your child needs to work on (because it varies from 0-10 all the way up to 30-100)...please contact me :) 


We found our first hidden words. Can you read the hidden words in Noah's name? Then we talked about beginning sounds. This is a GREAT skill to work on. Some of us have it mastered while others still struggle. I'll talk to you about it at conferences! 

For our math lesson, we were making cube trains to show the number of letters in our name. They did awesome! Tomorrow we'll do some comparing. 








Today's math problem was: I have 10 cubes. 8 are red. The rest are blue. How many are blue? 
 It was really fun to see how they explained their thinking. This was a REALLY hard problem. I had to meet with a lot of kiddos who just weren't there yet. 

I will meet with a group tomorrow and give them smaller numbers to try. 


Here are some of the strategies that came out of our math talk. 

Oh...this strategy came from our math warm-up where we had to write the number just after the number I said. 

Do you like to read at home? I HOPE SO!!! :) :) This was a great book today that we used to focus on our reading strategy--schema. Schema is everything we have ever experienced. Today, a lot of kids used schema to make predictions in this book. Jace knew that cats like to eat fish......I guess you'll have to read the book to see if his prediction came true! 



No comments:

Post a Comment